Friday, July 1, 2016
Happy Friday! Giving myself a small pat on the back for making it through the most Monday-filled week ev-er. Thankfully, it ends with a 3-day weekend, and that is a straight mood lifter right there. Do any of you have exciting plans for the Fourth of July? I think we're going to catch a live band one night and we'll definitely find some fireworks to watch, but I'm looking forward to a mostly quiet couple of days. I hope you all have a great one!
1. The mental, emotional and physical effects of three workouts. (The Coveteur)
2. And speaking of workouts, I'm giving this 30-day plank challenge a try this month! (Refinery29)
3. Drooling over this healthy chicken salad lettuce wrap recipe. (Southern Curls and Pearls)
4. American Eagle has a killer sale on shorts right now. (American Eagle)
5. Ten ways to make your mornings suck a little less. (The Stripe)
6. In L-O-V-E with this new series. (Man Repeller)
7. These chambray shorts look so perfect for summer. (Prosecco and Plaid)
8. Celebrate the Fourth of July with three amazing sangria recipes. (A Southern Drawl)
Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Double-strapped sports bra / S'well water bottle / Mesh paneled tights / Nike Dunk Sky Hi hidden heels / Spiritual Gangster muscle tank / Gray pullover / Free People tie-dye leggings / Carbon38 snakeskin sports bra / Nike Roshe One Hyper Breathe shoes
I've been doing a little shopping around (natch) for some great transitional pieces and had to share some of my finds with you today. I've had my eye on these tie-dye leggings by Free People for weeks; they went on sale for 40% off over the weekend and sold out yesterday (go figure) — I'll keep watching for a restock and post an update.
I hope you're all having a great week so far! Yesterday was the most Monday-ish Monday, so I'm extra happy that we're one day closer to a 3-day weekend!
What kind of workout gear do you wear most? How do you like to transition your gym clothes?
P.S. affordable workout gear and how to work out anywhere
Friday, June 24, 2016
Another week is in the books, and I have to say this one really flew by. After falling off the workout wagon a little bit toward the beginning of the month, my body is feeling refreshed and strong after a week of solid exercise — and it really is the best feeling. It's just like Elle Woods said, you know?
On that note, here's to a fun, healthy weekend!
1. How to start a succulent garden — the only plants I'd actually consider! (The Everygirl)
2. Fiction for feminists. (Daily Worth)
3. Chic Fourth of July outfit inspiration. (Hello Fashion)
4. Drooling over these pretzel chocolate chip bars. (Just A Taste)
5. Getting major kitchen inspiration. (Pinterest)
6. I'm loving the new Cupcakes and Cashmere bedroom collection. (Nordstrom)
7. How to improve your mental health. (Man Repeller)
8. I don't like pink, but I love this room. (Refinery29)
Thursday, June 23, 2016
Summer is officially here — though if you ask anyone around here, we've been sweating it out in 90+ degree temps for weeks now — and with it comes our bucket lists of everything we want to do before the snow comes again. I mentioned last year that even after a year in Des Moines, there's still so much that I haven't done or seen in this city, and the same is true this year.
Of course, I was able to venture out and find some new things to do in the last 12 months (exhibit a and exhibit b), but this year I want to keep adding to the list. Some of my goals are Des Moines-specific, but many of them can be done wherever you live.
1. Rent bikes to ride by the river.
2. Take a tour of the botanical gardens.
3. Go on a hiking trip.
4. Join an outdoor pop-up yoga event.
5. (Try to) learn how to golf. ;)
6. Plant my own succulent garden.
7. Picnic at a winery.
8. Read a classic novel.
9. Make a fun summer cocktail treat.
What's on your bucket list this summer? Would you try any of these things? I'd love to know!
P.S. here's to new adventures and my travel guide to Des Moines
Tuesday, June 21, 2016
Well hello again, lovelies! I hope everyone had a good weekend! We had such a fun time taking the boat out for Father's Day, and I even made chocolate chip cookies for the occasion. (Still proud of myself for not overcooking them!) Anyway, on to today's topic: lipstick. This edition is a fun one because it contains two options that I absolutely love, one that was disappointing and the WORST lipstick I've ever tried in my life. So, let's get to it!
1. Bite Beauty in Dragonfruit — I had been researching new pink lipsticks for summer a few months ago, and I decided I wanted to give Bite Beauty a try because I've been following their Instagram and loved their whole Amuse Bouche line. Once I got to Sephora, I tested a few different pinks and fell head over heels for Dragonfruit and its magenta, purplish tones. The hue feels a bit more sophisticated than traditional hot pinks, and it seems to go with every color. I also love the formula — it's soft and creamy and makes your lips feel hydrated and healthy all day. Rating: 5 stars.
2. MAC lipstick in Viva Glam II and Ellie Goulding Plushglass in Explosion — This combo holds a special place in my makeup bag because they're my first nude lipsticks and I bought them at the Fifth Avenue MAC store in New York. The picture doesn't do it justice, but this duo is definitely my favorite nude lip look. The lipstick is a little darker toned, but it compliments fair to light skin tones so well. The gloss adds just the right amount of shimmer without looking like a cheap throwback to 2002 and without feeling sticky. This is what I wear when I want more of a sultry pout. Rating: 5 stars.
3. NARS Dolce Vita — I've been a NARS devotee since the first time I tried their lip pencil in Dragon Girl. So far, I haven't been nearly as impressed with their lipsticks. This is one I got in a nude lipstick sample set from Sephora and I've only worn it probably two or three times. The formula is super light and feels like a balm, but it takes about 10 coats just to make the color come out and then it comes off after one sip of coffee. Long story short: I would not pay the $28 retail price for this glorified lip balm. Rating: 2 stars.
4. NYX Lip Lingerie in Embellishment — And finally, the most terrible thing I have ever put on my lips. I know that sounds dramatic, but I have to be completely honest. I was so excited to try this new line by NYX after I saw this Instagram post. Gorgeous, right? And now look back at my photo. Not even close. In fact, the day I wore this, I felt insecure and paranoid that I looked dead because of the purple-gray color. Not only was the color totally different than its photo, the formula was awful. It's a gloss that turns matte, but it was so drying that I felt like I had left a face mask on for too long. And THEN, when I tried to take it off, it. did. not. budge. There's something to be said for long-lasting lipsticks obviously, but not when you're scrubbing and scrubbing with a damp wash cloth until your lips are practically raw — aka, what actually happened. Rating: 0 stars and a warning to save your money (and your lips!)
P.S. check out my last five lipstick reviews — which ones have been your favorites so far? Let me know in the comments!